World Literature Research Paper Ideas – 15 Great Examples
Before you start writing a research paper on world literature, it’s good to consider a few different ideas worth writing about. We know it can be tough to come up with some on your own, so we’re providing this list to help inspire your project:
- Provide a critical analysis of European literature of the middle ages and early Chinese works of the same period. How are the two alike and different?
- How did the revolutionary ideals of Marx and Engels help shape European literary works of the early 20th century? What are the biggest examples of this influence?
- How did the works Muslim philosophers of the 15th century contribute to new inventions and ideas throughout the world?
- Compare and contrast the anti-British works originating in India in the 19th century with the pro-colonialist works coming from England during the same period.
- How much influence do Aldous Huxley’s ideas of a nightmarish utopian future have on modern day science-fiction writers around the world today?
- Discuss how Sophocles’ play Antigone deals with conflict between its two central characters as it relates to individual conscience and the laws of the state.
- How does George Orwell’s Animal Farm reflect the author’s sentiments towards and concerns about the events of the October Revolution?
- What are some examples of literary pieces of fiction that have helped shaped world cultures? What cultural, societal or historic factors played roles in shaping those pieces of literature?
- Charles Dickens was among the most prolific writers of the early and mid-19th centuries. His works were published weekly, bi-weekly, monthly and quarterly in serialized forms? How as this method fallen out of fashion?
- Compare and contrast early Chinese works of literature with early Japanese works. How do these two close countries differ so greatly in terms of cultural values present in literature?
- How does comedy in literature differ across culture? What types of comedy do we see today that first appeared in the earliest form of theatrical performance?
- Provide a critical analysis of honor and chivalry in the Sir Gawain and the Green Knight. How are these qualities characterized in similar works from the same period?
- Compare and contrast Homer’s Ancient Greek works the Iliad and the Odyssey. How have cultures around the world adapted some of the themes presented in these two poems?
- How do spirituality and the supernatural help further the plot development in Latin American literary works of the early 20th century?
- What are the most common themes found in the early 20th century death poems in Japanese literature? How do these themes differ from those of the 19th century?